The small tropical island of Sri Lanka is a dynamite attraction for tourists from all around the world. Long pristine beaches, beautiful palm trees, lip-smacking local cuisine, a rocking nightlife, rich cultural heritage, aromatic tea plantations, exotic wildlife – A Sri Lanka tour is truly one of a kind.
1. See the Gathering at Minneriya National Park – Famous for the largest wild Asian elephant gathering in the world, this northeastern national park gives you a perfect angle to see the gentle beast up close and personal. You can watch a “gathering” of as many as 300 elephants in one of the best places to visit in Sri Lanka.
2. Visit the sacred city of Anuradhapura – One of the oldest cities in Sri Lanka, it is of extreme significance to Buddhists and a must-visit Sri Lanka tourist place. Take a city tour of ancient sacred destinations like - Ruwanweli Maha Seya, the great Stupa of Lanka and the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhiya, The sacred fig tree.
3. Visit the healing spring of Keerimalai – The natural pool shaped springs of Keerimalai in Jaffna is one of the most interesting places in Sri Lanka that attracts history lovers and cure seekers from all over the world. It is believed that bathing in these mineral springs cures all your ailments. The folklore attached to the springs is - a Pandyan princess, Nagula, who had a mongoose like a face took bath in this spring and became a beautiful princess.
4. Unwind on the calming Arugam bay – The Sri Lankan version of Bondi beach, Arugam bay is a definite visit Sri Lanka tourist place. You can go surfing, catch a sunset at elephant bay, roam the city in a tuk-tuk or attend a night beach party or laze on a hammock soaking in the beauty of surrounding palm trees - the options for having a memorable time are endless at one of the best places to visit in Sri Lanka.
5. Climb up the Lion Rock of Sigiriya – One of the most Instagrammed Sri Lanka tourist places, Sigiriya dates back to 5th century AD and is a popular tourist spot. Take a 2-hour trek up this iconic rock and then relax in the soothing panoramic view of some of the oldest landscaped gardens in the world. Just make sure to start early as to avoid the sun and wear a gripping pair of shoes when completing this part of the Sri Lanka tour.
Know more about: Srilanka
7. Seek blessings at Gangaramaya temple – One of the most significant Buddhist temples in the world, Gangaramaya is not only a place of worship, but a school that teaches Buddhist philosophy, and an architectural marvel. Visit the temple to spend a mythical evening on the Sri Lanka tour and buy world curated Buddhist relics.
8. Shop till you drop at Pettah floating market – What looks like a calm oasis of water from afar, is actually the hustle-bustle of one of the busiest markets in Colombo and one of Sri Lanka’s must-see sights. You can buy anything and everything from fruits and vegetables to electronics and jewelry.
9. Enjoy rocking nightlife in Colombo – A Sri Lanka tour is incomplete without experiencing its nightlife. From casinos to live bands to themed pubs to the friendly crowd, there are a lot of avenues to unleash the party freak within you in Colombo, one of the best places to visit in Sri Lanka.
10. Go snorkeling at Hikkadawu – Home to impressive coral reefs and tropical fishes, a Sri Lanka tour is a diver’s delight. Visit this sandy beach, one of the most interesting places in Sri Lanka which are just 90 km away from Colombo and dive or learn if you are an amateur into the magical underwater.
Know more about: Srilanka
11. Take an enchanting train ride from Kandy to Ella – Touted as one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world, this Sri Lanka muse see sights is not to be missed. Hop onto this journey and be transformed into a land of cotton clouds, beautiful mountain peaks, and lush tea gardens.
12. Enjoy the mythological Ramayana tour – One of the main attractions on a Sri Lanka tour especially for Indians is its association with Ramanyana. Take a mythological tour and go on a spellbinding spiritual journey through the best places to visit in Sri Lanka including landmarks such as Ravana Cave in Ella and Sri Baktha Hanuman Temple in Ramboda.
13. Enjoy whales and dolphins riding waves at Mirissa – One of the most exciting Sri Lanka tourist places is going whale and dolphins watching in Mirissa. The best time to enjoy this excursion is from November to April when the seas are calmer and it is easier to spot them in swimming.
14. Spot majestic leopards at Yala National Park – The most famous national park of Sri Lanka, Yala national park is home to many exotic animals such as leopards, sloth bears, flying snakes, etc. Visit this interesting place in Sri Lanka if you are a photographer/wildlife enthusiast.
15. Taste mouth-watering Srilankan cuisine – A Sri Lanka tour is incomplete without tasting its local cuisine. Known for its seafood and curries, dig into famous delicacies such as Fish Ambul Thiyal, Kukul Mas Curry, Lamprais, Sri Lankan Egg Hoppers and you will be left licking your fingers.
Know more about: Srilanka